Andreas turned the ripe old age of 36.
It snuck up on ME so fast that I rolled out of bed at 5:30 AM to go to the grocery store when it opened at 6 AM so that I could purchase him a card and stuff to make a cake etc.
His birthday breakfast was some strong coffee and hot cinnamon buns.
How hot?
So hot, that when he was eating one I saw him make a funny face and then start digging with his fork pulling out pieces of blue and green birthday candle wax that had melted all inside the buns.
I bought him a computer magazine, a scratch off lottery ticket to try and win 75,000 every year for 25 years...(okay so maybe that one was actually for me) and a bottle of static guard spray.
Ummm...WHY a bottle of static guard? Because my husband and I are big wusses when it comes to being shocked. If you want to see us both scream like little girls, start walking to us with a pointed finger as you drag your sock covered feet along the carpet. And lets not EVEN start talking about balloons.
When he got home from work, I had a pound cake with glazed icing waiting for him. I did remember to let the cake cool before I inserted the candles, and he made sure he ordered some really nice headphones from Best Buy to help make up for all the other " extremely thoughtful" presents he got earlier from me.
And I made one of our fave little dinners.........what does these 3 little things go good with????
WHY...Tacos El Carbon of course!!!!!!!
I remember the very first time I told my husband I was going to have him some good awesome tacos ready for him for dinner. I had all the fixings..... Taco Bell kit, grounded up hamburger meat, some more Old El Paso hard taco shells, Pace Picante sauce etc.
When he came home, he took one look at all that stuff, and with his eyes bulging out from their sockets like a cartoon character....he tells me in a manly, yet somewhat shrilly ( almost to the point of crying) voice...." THOSE. Are .NOT. Tacos!!"
Me: " Ummmm yes they are. You have your Daisy sour cream here, and over there you have some nicely grated sharp cheddar cheese."
Andreas: " No my dear, these are Americanized tacos. And by the way....WHERE is the rice???" ( This last part what said as if I committed a cardinal sin)
So needless to say I was taught on how to make an UNAMERICANIZED taco.
And O.M.G.....I will never eat another crisp taco bell shell again. I have a love affair of a menage a trois going on with cilantro and lime. And since being married to a Guatemalan, I have NEVER in my life eaten SO much freakin rice. Might has well change my name to " Patty".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Last weekend we had made plans to go to one of our favorite Chinese restaurants.
Before I go on, let me explain. I live right outside of Los Angeles. While I do not live in China/Korean town, the majority of the residents here are Asian. Which means many of the places to eat cater to the Asian culture. And my hubby and I dont like to venture to far into the LA traffic to go eat somewhere so we try and keep it local. It so happens we came across this new eatery..........
When we walked in , I swore I heard angels singing from the high heavens. It was if I had found the Holy Grail. (NI! PENG! And NEEE-WOM) 100 points to you if you get that last part!
Yes, it was owned and ran by a little Chinese man, but the man had done his research. I TOTALLY felt like I was in Texas/Louisiana. The tables and benches were made out of stained knotted pine. He laid down butcher paper as the table cloth, there was a large roll of paper towels awaiting our soon to be red Cajun sauced faces and fingers. They even has plastic bibs with a crab on it. The music was a mixture of greatness....I even heard "Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress". And they had congruent tin on the lower wall !!!! The crawfish was SO spicey and delish that Andreas and I both had runny noses half way through.
I was in my glory.............
There is nothing I can say bad about this place except they do not allow for sleep overs. Hey - It didnt hurt to ask.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
And last but not least.......just as I expected.....Dora is definitely a DemoCAT.

4 comments:
Your hubby's birthday dinner looked wonderful. How I wish I could cook like that. Cooking is honestly a talent. (A talent that I obviously do not have....lol.)
come on down to texas and cook me some of them tacos..yum yum. Happy Birthday Andreas
Believe me gals....I like to make those they are SO easy. I really dont like to cook that much. Actually I wouldnt mind it if I didnt have to turn around and wash everything. I dont have a dishwasher.
And BEV ~ I still cant make comments to your blog. Did you block me or something? Do me a favor...go into your settings for comments and choose for it to be a pop up one. And lets see if that works. Its only yours and Lauras I cant comment to.
Ok...I did what you said and changed it...hope it works. I'm so clueless to all this, but I'm learning :)
Post a Comment