Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Something I Forgot To Mention

Another new thing I didn't mention is that Andreas and I have become the sponsors of 4 children in Guatemala. They are all siblings. Their father is dead and the family is so poor the children could not afford to attend school. But now they will be able to have that opportunity. Its only 60 dollars a month to send all 4. (To be embarrassingly honest, we spend that much on fast food in a week. Heck! We spend 15 bucks in one day of renting Blockbuster movies.)
This all came about accidentally. I am the first to admit I am not extremely religious.
However, God has been drawing me near to him. So when I came across this mans blog....well I knew I had found my calling and that I was indeed lead there by the voice of God.

His blog opened my eyes to suffering I knew that was out there in this world, but which I chose to close my eyes from. I know I cant save the world, but at least I can make a difference in these 4 lives. And I do it all with my heart. And not only is my heart happy to do this, but it is honored to do it, for the Lord has blessed Andreas and I in ways that we take for granite on a daily basis.


If you do happen to read his blog ( in which I highly suggest you do), you will be able to read some emails,that he and I had sent to each other and that he asked to have permission to post on his blog.

Andreas and I have actually talked about moving to Antigua Guatemala in the future to help
those in need.

I hope you find it in your heart to give to someone who is less fortunate than you.
Remember you don't have to donate money, it could be a box of food, clothing, toiletries, or perhaps becoming a volunteer, for even your time is just as precious and just as appreciated .

"If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered." Proverbs 21:13

And [Jesus] looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the treasury. And He saw a certain poor widow putting in two small copper coins. And He said, "Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all of them; for they all out of their surplus put into the offering; but she out of her poverty put in all that she had to live on.


Please take the time to read Dick Rutgers blog. And click on the photos. I promise it will change on how you view YOUR life. You will be thankful for your home that you wish was bigger, the car you wish was more fancier, that purse you wish was a designer one, your job that you hate, the food on your table even though it is hamburger helper again , your children because they are healthy enough that they don't have to be put in a malnutrition ward.......It will open your eyes and it will shut your mouth on how bad things are going on in your world. Give hope to those who have none.

The child Dick is holding is name Julio. He is 9 years old.

5 comments:

Lisa Nix said...

Wow..how moving

Beverly said...

How wonderful!

Kristie Corpus said...

cool!!! Just the kind of thing I want to do!!! RAce ya!

Kelli Nørgaard said...

I am so proud of you guys!! what a great thing! I have to tell a funny about when I first met Mads. He met my daughter the first time he met me, so on our 2nd meeting, it made sense to ask him if he had any kids...and he said "Yes".. so I got curious and wanted to know more.
then he confessed his "daughter" lived in Bangladesh and he sent 200kroner monthly for her support. Ok, ha ha. Jokes on me.

But seriously, this is an incredibl thing you are doing!

kerristarr said...

I love this story! I'm so glad you're doing that. I sponsor 3 little boys in Guatemala through Compassion International. So maybe our kids are neighbors! It's such a little thing, and I think it makes such a huge difference.